Job Number: 160212
Primary Location: US-IL-Bloomington
At COUNTRY Financial, our Media Relations Specialist builds, enhances and maintains the reputation and brand of COUNTRY Financial ® by ensuring the support of our corporate mission, objectives and vision through external communications. This position is vital to protecting and strengthening the reputation of COUNTRY Financial.
- Analyzing, developing and measuring media relations strategies which build our reputation, supporting the corporate vision and providing good news about the organization to our general publics. Approaches may include, but are not limited to, news releases, media kits, columns, digital and social media, media pitches and press conferences.
- Serving as primary spokesperson for the organization, handling contact with newspaper, magazine, radio television, trade press and social media.
- Serving as a senior external communications consultant to leadership regarding emerging risks to our corporate brand and reputation.
- Developing proactive/reactive messages and processes to manage threats, and provide integrated management of potentially adverse public issues that may impact our good reputation.
- Guiding other media relations staff members and ensuring following of best practices regarding external communications.
- Developing and maintaining good relationships with editors, reporters and influential social media in key media markets.
- Creating and/or overseeing the creation and accuracy of news releases, media kits, corporate positions, columns, and other media relations materials for the companies and/or our agency force.
- Staying abreast of industry news, governmental regulations and legislative issues affecting the organization. When warranted, creating and/or overseeing the creation and distribution of COUNTRY Financial responses.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations or equivalent in related work experience.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English is preferred.
- At least three years of news media experience in corporate media relations or within a news media organization.
- Proven ability to lead external communication efforts through high-impact and high-profile situations.
- Demonstrated experience coaching management and subject matter experts to serve as media spokespeople and to give speeches to external audiences.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, good organization skills, and skilled in planning, budgeting, scheduling, proofreading, controlling, leading, and problem solving.
- Ability to translate insurance and financial services products and services information into meaningful, easily understandable copy while meeting legal, brand, online and other corporate standards.
- Proficient in methods and practices of news media and social media.